1)a person, normally a child, in ragged, dirty clothing
2) a Christian, who seems spiritually and physically a ragged soul
I first heard the term "ragamuffin" over 20 years ago, reading Charles Dickens. I learned studying Irish history, ragamuffin was an Anglicization of the term "ragamullins", the orphans St Moling (Mullins) cared for in the Ossory region of Ireland, where my family's clan, Mac Giolla Phadraig, are from. Again, I would hear of it via Rich Mullins and A Ragamuffin band and Brennan Manning's book, Ragamuffin Gospel (did not learn till later of the Rich/Brennan connection). Then there are the cute Ragamuffin cats. And what of those who call themselves ragamuffins?
A ragamuffin is one who is beat-up, broken, and bruised. Wounded souls, if you will. They have been through the school of hard knocks, not once or twice, but all life long. They are the ones who see their lives as a voyage, running the risk of failure, even if it cuts them deeper. They are simple, honest, and direct. They are, many times, not afraid of losing, because they have nothing left to lose. ~ Morria



No comments:
Post a Comment